Issues we face
- Being able to successfully embed of knowledge sharing culture,
when the current organisation is fixed on delivery of projects and
- Most of the organisation recognise the logical argument of sharing
knowledge, be that best practice, hint and tips, tools, processes
- Some are passionate about it and will give their time to this
- Previous IT solutions have not engendered a culture of knowledge sharing
- Initiating knowledge sharing in a group of bodies that are in
competition with each other and have strikingly different needs,
culture and ways of working
- The different bodies are actually in competition with each other
despite being part of the same organisation. this unique situation
means that even initiating knowledge sharing seams an impossible challenge
- Culturally the bodies are brand loyal leading to opposing
- some bodies operate in a clandestine environment in terms of
their information, so sharing information is an alien process.
- Need the process/practice of capturing learnings, then changes
behaviours so that this becomes a habit and is considered just as important, before we have an IT solution
- Need to change culture first, behaviours, get people doing close
out, After Action Reviews etc, before create an IT solution.
- Have project reviews on regular basis as a forum of peer review
of projects. cover 1. Status of project; 2. successes, 3.
challenges, 4 Q&A
- The IT solution should be only for repository of information
- Need a subject matter expert to monitor data in an IT system. A
leanring is that you can end up with a database with amass of
information that is so overwhelming people no longer find it
- Use the Buy & Sell idea at Meetings to increase networking and
- Demonstration and recognition of sharing learning/information by
leaders if important to start creating a sharing knowledge culture.
- Introduce a learning practice at the start of a project to set
individuals expectations of what the project manager objective
are on capturing and actioning lessons learnt.